In 2020 we celebrated 60 years of serving the South Sound region originally as Tacoma Baptist Schools and now as Sound Christian Academy
The timeline traces our school’s history since its founding in 1960. Click on the < > symbols to advance or go back on the timeline or click and drag in either direction.
In 1959, James (Jim) Bramblet recognized the need for Christian education in the Tacoma, WA area. Together with six local Baptist churches, they began Tacoma Baptist Day School for the 1959-60 school year.
Dubbed the “90-Day Miracle,” Tacoma Baptist moved to its new location in South Tacoma just in time for the 1965-66 school year.
In the fall of 1969, the name officially became Tacoma Baptist Schools with the addition of a full high school. TBS now offered a K-12 education on one campus.
TBS Athletics was established with the development of Cross Country, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer,Volleyball, and Ski Club.
With a campus full of young people and enrollment growth, a high school building was built, adding a library, choir room, and several classrooms to the campus.
Hired initially as a teacher in 1964, by 1977, Dr. Bond had begun his tenure as Superintendent of TBS. He would continue to help lead TBS until his retirement in 2001.
The first annual TBS auction raised over $7,000 to support Christian education and started a fundraising event that would support TBS students for more than three decades!
Fair Day, Homecoming, Powder Puff games, and other traditions that began in the 1980s still exist today.
Keeping up with the times, TBS upgraded to personal computers. This included programming classes for 6th - 12th grade students.
Soccer and Basketball thrived during the 1980s, with several TBS teams going to state tournaments.
In 1991, football came to TBS. Over 850 fans attended the first game in September of that year, and the sport quickly became the centerpiece for athletics during the 1990s.
From Homecoming to JSB (Junior-Senior Banquet), attendance at the seasonal formal events soared. Banquets were the place to be as they gave girls a chance to wear a fancy dress and for the boys to look sharp.
Sciences are taught from a biblical worldview. Pictured here is the memorable middle school insect collection done by each middle school student in Mrs. Pierson’s science class.
Thriving band and choir programs during the 1990s produced several ACSI Musicale trophies throughout the decade.
Traditions continued into the 2000s like this one where seniors who attended TBS since kindergarten perform at the Christmas program with current kindergarteners.
In 2003, TBS purchased New Hope Christian School in Graham. Together they formed a new school district called South Sound Christian Schools.
Soccer made a huge resurgence by winning back-to-back state championships in 2008 and 2009. During those same years, Cross Country, Wrestling, Football, and Girls’ Basketball all made state tournament appearances.
In 2010, TBS celebrated 50 years of serving our community with quality, Christian education.
From Pep Club to Chess Club, the 2010s were filled with activity and all-school club participation.
Volunteering and outreach are things that TBS has worked to instill in students. During the 2010s, a whole week of community volunteer work was built into the middle school and high school calendars.
After 60 years, the prohibition against dances was lifted, and while the school remains standing, a pandemic shortly ensued.
The COVID-19 pandemic brought classroom learning to an abrupt halt in March 2020. Classes took place online, and homes became classrooms. TBS re-opened in the fall and remained continuously open with protocols in place.
In 2020, TBS celebrated 60 years serving the greater Tacoma area. In 2020, the High School was awarded the designation of Best of the South Sound by South Sound Magazine. In 2021, the Middle School received the same recognition.
In 2021 Tacoma Baptist Schools launched as Sound Christian Academy. A comprehensive, campus-wide rebrand was implemented with a new logo, colors, and mascot.
History of the School
In 1959 God inspired James Bramblet to build an evangelical Christian school. Recognizing a need for Christian education in the Tacoma area and with the support of six founding Baptist churches, Tacoma Baptist Day School was founded and began operations in the 1959-60 school year. Over the course of the next 15 years, two academic buildings and a gymnasium were built, and a foundation was laid that would impact generations to come to follow God with their whole hearts.
“The 90-day Miracle”
In 1964 Douglas Bond became principal, and with Nehemiah like faith believed the school needed to “…arise and build and God [would] prosper His work.” In the spring of 1965 construction began for the new building at the present location. Bond believed in the economic philosophy, “owe no man anything,” and together with his work ethic inspired many to very generously volunteer time, money, and materials. As Labor Day approached in 1965, the school still wasn’t completed, so 42 volunteers worked into the night finishing every project and cleaning everything to be ready for the next day, the first day of school. What looked like a construction site just days before, was now a beautiful new school. Teachers and students alike were astonished.
By 1969 it was evident that a gymnasium and more classrooms were needed so, spearheaded by Bond and with help from volunteers, a giant steel structure was hauled from California and assembled in Tacoma. At this point it was time to officially decide on a name, So Tacoma Baptist School (TBS) opened its doors as a school educating kindergarten through twelfth grades. And soon thereafter it would have its first high school graduates.
Dr. Douglas Bond wrote, “The building is the physical evidence of a spiritual reality in those who had a part in it… TBS stands today as a monument to the faith and sacrifice that made it possible.”
With each generation of alumni, they would return to enroll their children and some would even join the faculty and staff team to inspire the next generations to follow after God.
In 2020 Tacoma Baptist Schools celebrated its 60th Jubilee Anniversary. Over the course of these 60 plus years, many changes occurred, including the adding of new athletic programs, new and improved buildings and grounds, technology improvements, traditions being established, winning of district and state championships, new internal events and traditions, the adding of multiple clubs and activities, etc. In 2003 TBS purchased New Hope Christian School in Graham, Washington and a new school district called South Sound Christian Schools was formed. Each decade saw fresh leadership and faculty with hundreds of students being educated and impacted.
Throughout the history of Tacoma Baptist Schools, God was the main focus with teaching the students the value of a godly worldview, knowing who they are in Christ, and to be well educated. All was done in hopes that when they graduate and go into the world, they will be the salt of the earth and a light in the darkness.
In 2021 the name changed from Tacoma Baptist School to Sound Christian Academy. With the name change came some other changes, like the mascot, colors and major campus enhancements. One thing remains the same and that is our mission to educate and disciple students and to foster a culture that allow studentss to explore and grow in their identities and callings in Christ.
Please review our RENEW commemorative publication which is online. Starting on page 20 there is an extensive historical section including a decade by decade timeline, historical lists of leaders and standout students, historical lists of athletic achievements, alumni stories from each decade, and many photographs.